[Novalug] :wq vs ZZ

James Ewing Cottrell III jecottrell3@comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 20:01:19 EST 2016

On 12/14/2016 11:47 AM, Karri Balk wrote:

>> However, even assuming that you Wanted to write, "ZZ", or even ":x" is
>> easier to type than ":wq". And yet, the latter persists in documentation.
>
> A very long time ago I switched from using "ZZ" to ":wq" because I
> found the former was exiting the file without saving changes.  It was
> a very painful lesson.

Well, I certainly can't question your experience, but that certainly
sounds like a bug, maybe even two. I'm wondering whether it had anything
to do with NFS and/or times changing, but it seems more likely that a
simple "file has change" flag would set upon any modifications not fully
undone by undos.

> That was when I was still using "vi" and maybe "vim" has fixed the
> problem.  In any case, I found it easier to remember one command that
> works successfully in all cases then to switch between two different
> commands.

That sounds like you are agreeing with me., always use ZZ.

> Karri

JIM