[Novalug] December 10th-- Docker for everyone

Doug Toppin dougtoppin@gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 19:55:26 EST 2016

Here's a quick description of the presentation on Docker that I will be
making next Sat at the novalug meeting.

The intent of the presentation is how non-developers can make use of docker
without having to have a lot of knowledge or experience about docker itself.

Docker is relatively recent (first release in 2013) and has proven very
useful to developers and enterprises. However, many others can benefit from
it as well.
It can let you run many tools without having to install anything other than
docker itself. Potentially even running them in the cloud rather than
locally.
This can be particularly helpful in that you don't have to worry about
managing or updating versions of the tools or things such as libraries that
they may be dependent on.

The challenge can be in finding docker images and then knowing how to use
them. You can also create your own (dockerize) docker images without too
much knowledge. During the presentation we should be able to show a couple
of examples of doing just that.
An example of that is one that I did recently the source of which can be
found at https://github.com/dougtoppin/lenticular and the resulting docker
image at https://hub.docker.com/r/dougtoppin/lenticular/
We will go through what I did to dockerize it and how to use the result.

My current agenda looks like the following. The last few sections are there
in case we have the time to get to them. They contain more information
about how docker actually works which is interesting.

As usual, anyone that has useful tidbits or related information please plan
on chiming in during the presentation so that everyone can benefit. I'm
confident that we have no lack of members that are more expert at docker
than I am.

Agenda
* What is Docker
* Typical Use Cases