[Novalug] F.C. 1 -- the ethernet cable goes where ?

Peter Larsen peter@peterlarsen.org
Fri Dec 2 15:59:45 EST 2016

On 12/02/2016 03:38 PM, Walt Smith wrote:
> OK, OK, I agree !!!
> I would still like to know if there is suitable terminology.
> And I take your point about the rs-232 physical connectors.
> ( knowing in ethernet the connectors don't differ.)
> I just didn't want to go to too much detail other than
> mfgrs agreed to basic names of equipment at the end for

Technically way back then, we had DTE and DCE for Ethernet too - which
is why we had the null modems/cross over cables. DCE are switches and
routers, and DTE are end devices. But there isn't a difference in plugs
- never was. It didn't matter what end of a cross over you plugged into
the computers, or which end of a cable you plugged into a HUB and which
one went into the computer.

> PS: if you guys haven't heard of generic names, as such,
> then I guess there are none.   Can it be Computers ( as such)
> and networking interfaces ( as such ?)   ?

Have fun: http://www.tech-faq.com/ethernet.html

> PS: My one linux box, not obscenely slow, is old enough
> that the nic doesn't switch.  I have a crossover I use
> with an older lan box for that rare testng errr... learning.

And for that reason you can still buy cross over devices/cables. But
they're rare today.

  Peter Larsen

More information about the Novalug mailing list