[Novalug] Excel Introduces Errors into Science Spreadsheets

William Sutton william@trilug.org
Fri Aug 26 13:11:15 EDT 2016

A guy I worked with was once tasked with converting an Excel-based
financials system to Java.  Then they found out that depending on the
order Excel opened externally referenced spreadsheets, the final totals
could be different.  I don't know if they ever figured out a way to handle
the randomness.

The real moral of the story is that spreadsheets are spreadsheets and
databases are databases.  Use the right tool for the right job.

William Sutton