[Novalug] Text Editor tricks

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sun Aug 21 15:39:30 EDT 2016

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016, Ed James via Novalug wrote:

> Text editor - mine is too dumb to know any tricks, but...does anyone have
> a recommendation for one that is "split down the middle" so it can show
> one file on the left side of the editor and another, different file on
> the right side of the editor?

I use gedit. You cannot split the screen with a single command but you can
open multiple documents, each in its own tab and then grab a tab and pull
it into a different window and then show the docs side by side. Gedit has
a line number turn on mode so you can have line numbers showing in both
windows and it has a "go to line number" aspect of its search so you can
compare the documents side by side and line up the line numbers.

It also has various highlight modes so that you can view HTML or PERL, etc
highlighted in appropriate ways.

Only other things I wish it had are (1) keystorke macros and (2) vertical
column limited cut/paste.

For keystroke macros I use nedit but that is not as powerful a text
editing tool as the Amiga TurboText. Turbo Text is one of the few Amiga
programs that I have not seen matched in Linux. Sigh

The other one is the graphics program ImageFX. Wish I was a better
programmer. I would take on duplicating functionality of those two.