[Novalug] CentOS 6.8 and repositories: Need some advice

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Mon Aug 15 08:54:10 EDT 2016

> On Aug 15, 2016, at 8:35 AM, Gopher via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
>
> On 8/15/16 12:54 AM, Peter Larsen via Novalug wrote:
>> On 08/14/2016 03:54 PM, Gopher via Novalug wrote:
>>> The problem here is that CentOS is clone of Red Hat
>> No it's not. CentOS is less than 15% binary equiviant to Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux. It's not a clone, and repeating that claim doesn't
>> make it so.
> My understanding of the CentOS project was to take Red Hat source, remove all Red Hat specific components (i.e. RH-management specific software such as rhn, etc.) and also to tweak packages to be more inline with the source configurations from the various upstream package sources (i.e. remove RHEL's apache config and replace with default apache config).

I didn’t think the even undid any configuration changes, unless it was removing a Red Hat service (like rhn) or a Red Hat trademark.

> That in my mind is a RHEL clone.  It's still basically RHEL.

I agree with Jon and Gopher on this one.  Peter, citation required on this claim.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin@elfie.org