[Novalug] Ask your local library to buy some of these $5 Linux computers

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Mon Aug 15 00:36:04 EDT 2016

> On Aug 12, 2016, at 9:51 AM, Phil Shapiro via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
>

> On the materials request form for your local libraries (Fairfax, Loudon, Arlington, etc), ask
> your local libraries to buy a few of these $5 Linux computers to lend out.
>

> http://fossforce.com/2016/08/5-omega2-sbc-beats-300k-stretch-goal/#more-1596443

The $5 core is, unfortunately, not functional by itself.  It needs a dock of some kind, minimum, increasing the cost to $20 or $24.

This looks like it would be fantastic at local maker spaces looking to get kids involved in development, or for some kind of LARP where you need to “hack” something by pulling the core out, rewriting the code on it, and plugging it back in.

It would also be fantastic for a prize for a programming competition or as the platform for a programming competition.  I don’t think the local libraries have the staff needed to run such a competition, so it would have to be an external organization working with the library.

jf