[Novalug] question about hardware and privacy

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Thu Sep 24 20:48:13 EDT 2015

if this is inappropriate  to ask to the list, I apologize

my friend who is very concerned about privacy (the one who uses Proton
mail) wrote me and asked:

<quote>
Are you aware of any web based, or hard copy consumer reviews of digital
or communications equipment like laptops or cell phones that include
personal privacy design considerations?

Examples would include options to either not have integrated web cams &
microphones on a laptop, or to have a physical switch (instead of just the
software) to turn them off. ..or even if bags & cases include RF blocking
materials.

I also searched for hacking posts & videos on installing such switches
yourself, but couldn't find any such tutorials. Most devices may simply be
too difficult to open and alter without damaging them now.

<end quote>

I would think that there are laptops and cellphones used by individuals in
sensitive positions in the government and industry where remote
activation of webcam and wifi would be highly undesirable. What
systems would they use?