[Novalug] e-mail security

Rich Kulawiec rsk@gsp.org
Wed Sep 16 16:28:23 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 02:02:12PM -0400, Bonnie Dalzell via Novalug wrote:
> In any case it occurred to me after the fascinating discussion on
> this matter, what a way to set up a honey pot to attract people who
> want to conceal their online activities. Offer a free but closed
> source "secure" e-mail service.

Precisely.

> Oh I am sure that NSA and every other governments intelligence
> agencies would never think of that.

There are other things as well.  Let me pose this question:

	Do you think that everyone who works *at* Amazon's
	cloud operation is working *for* Amazon's cloud operation?

(Best read with this intonation: "Do you think that's air you're breathing?")

There is absolutely no possible way that everyone at AWS or Gmail
or Twitter or any other large service is only what they appear to be.
Consider: national intelligence services routinely manage to infiltrate
*each other*: getting one of their people hired by a company represents
a much lower bar to clear.

---rsk