[Novalug] forcing an fsck -- update

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Mon Nov 23 22:00:22 EST 2015

Jon LaBadie via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
> I created the snapshot and fsck'ed it.  But it did not
> recover the orphaned inodes to /lost+found, instead
> it cleared them.  Nothing lost however, fsck showed
> the size, uid, mode, etc of the orphans.  From that
> I could tell they were not the files I was seeking.
> fsck'ing the snapshot did not change the source fs.

Correct.  It was to "test" the results, including whether you'd have
data loss or, worse yet, when the file system cannot be made
consistent (so umountable).  But it would only modify the "snapshot,"
and _not_ "harm" the source file system.

Keep that "test" approach in your back pocket.  It will save your butt
sometime, especially if you have a serious disk error.  E.g., you
could copy off everything you can to another storage device.

> So I tried John's suggestion of touching /forcefsck
> and rebooting.  I can confirm it does still work.

As I mentioned in another post, I typically use "mount count" to set
the explicit file system to be checked.  It should also work on every
distro.

-- bjs

--
Bryan J Smith - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith