[Novalug] forcing an fsck

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Mon Nov 23 13:39:01 EST 2015

I'm trying to fun an fsck on a root fs.  The system details
are ext4 FS on an lvm lv on an SSD running CentOS 7.1.

Of course fsck does not want to run on a rw mounted fs.
But if I use the options -f (force) and (-n) check but
don't repair, it analyzes and reports there are several
orphaned inodes.  I would like to recover them to
/lost+found as I suspect they are something I'm looking for.

I thought rescue mode would leave / mounted read-only,
but it was mounted rw.

I tried booting a live Fedora 22 but its fsck (actually
e2fsck with the -f option) reported no errors.

The system still had a CentOS 6.6 version so I booted it.
The 6.6 version of e2fsck says it can't check because it
is missing a 64-bit option.  Huh?  It is a 64-bit installation.

Other ideas?
Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)