[Novalug] Running E-mail servers

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Thu Nov 19 15:21:39 EST 2015

William Morse wrote:
> For what it is worth, my company qualifies for Google's
> non-profit pricing, so bare e-mail is $0 per user-month,
> but there are some caps for storage volume.
> With respect to retention, confidentiality and discovery
> -- it is the retention piece that is driving this process, but
> I am personally interested in seeing that the other two
> don't become a problem for the company or me.

Oh, that's easy.

Make no e-mail available on-line after 90 days, and archive everything
else.  You can do that by archiving to outside of Google, and retain
that internally.

Just keep in mind that the "script kiddies" at Google _love_ to change
things regularly, and sustain things like crap.  So you'll need to
modify your archiving solutions to deal with their API changes.

-- bjs