[Novalug] overlay filesystem mechanism to present maildir format differently?

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Wed May 27 17:51:18 EDT 2015

hmm... i am currently storing email files in separate mbox formatted
files.  i generally read these files with mutt:

i am moving to a maildir format stored under dovecot.  this format uses
cur, new, tmp subdirectories and friends to store email.  it's a bit
cumbersome to get to the actual maildir.  i am also exporting the entire
directory structure on an NFS partition.

what i would really like would be to able to export my maildir directories
and have them look much more like my original directory structure.

in my head this is just a simple overlay file system that exposes just
the structure desired using regex pattern matching and a configuration
file or something like that.  it feels like something that fuse can do
fairly easily and might have already been done in fact.

example maildir format structure:

	A/.maildir/cur/f1
	A/.maildir/cur/f2
	A/.maildir/cur/f3
	A/.maildir/new/
	A/.maildir/tmp/

displayed:

	A/f1
	A/f2
	A/f3

but honestly, I haven't really thought about it a lot yet.  Is there
any tool already written that can do this in real time for me?

--
Hei konā mai
Mark Smith