[Novalug] OT? : new verb? (was filesystem partition strategies)

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Tue May 26 14:05:33 EDT 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015, William Sutton wrote:

>      [....]
> on the separate /usr partition front, I work with a guy who likes it that
> way, and that's how the Gentoo LVM+RAID HOWTO did it, so I've cargo culted
> that.  If there were good reasons for doing so, I'm curious what they
> (are/were).
>        [....]

 	I've read long since about the original (real) cargo
cults on South Pacific islands, and now about "cargo cult
programming" on both Wikipedia and the Jargon File. But I've
seen no instance till now of anybody using it as a verb.

 	Now, in general, the practice of turning a noun into a
verb simply by using it as one is a favorite tool in English, of
course, and a fine one it is.

 	But in this case, it seems to me, there are two meanings
the new verb could have, each the opposite of the other; and I
don't follow which you mean. Maybe that's just because I'm no
programmer.

 	Are you saying you *saved* or =discarded= it??

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.