[Novalug] comment: recent point "MS Office self incompatible over 5 years"

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Tue May 12 15:50:25 EDT 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015, William Sutton wrote:

> I agree.  *was*.  WordPerfect was phenomenal and I was a very loyal user, for
> a very long time.  But what supports its formats now?

according to libre office website:
http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/17246/wordperfect-and-current-libreoffice/

you can open word perfect documents in Libre Office

they say "the Document lIberation Project is interested and active in
maintaining support for this legacy file format (WPD) via the libwpd
library"

> William Sutton
>
> On Tue, 12 May 2015, Bryan J Smith wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 7:19 PM, William Sutton via Novalug
>> <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
>>       and yet... and yet... when it comes to digital data, it doesn't
>>       necessarily have the usable shelf life of older media.  Extreme
>>       case: people are still reading Egyptian monuments thousands of
>>       years later, but good luck if your important data files are on a
>>       zip/bernoulli/floppy disk, or in a format nobody reads anymore
>>       (WordStart?  WordPerfect? QuatroPro?).
>>

>> ​Ummm ... WordPerfect was _preferred_ by law and medicine for decades
>> because
>> of its strong, backward compatibility.  I know many institutions that were
>> still using it through the '00s.
>>
>> In fact, in every single case they switched, all of the law and medical
>> practicioners were against the change, but it was a clerical move by
>> non-professionals, namely a business decision.

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com