[Novalug] On behalf of everyone in the IT industry - Sorry!

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Tue May 5 08:26:25 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 7:32 AM, Rich Kulawiec via Novalug
<novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
> Good point, but: (a) he divested himself of all materials before
> going there and (b) if the Russians want to get something out of
> him, they're perfectly capable of getting it no matter where he
> is on the planet.  This is not their first day on their job.
> As far as places to be permanently (rather than temporarily as when
> he was stuck in the airport) it's not a bad choice.  They Russians are
> motivated to keep him safe and well because they know it irritates the
> hell out of the US, and the US is motivated to leave him alone because
> of possible consequences.

For now.  This is all ... for now.

My great point was and still is ... when you are entrusted with
information that may be harmful to the American public if obtained by
a foreign nation that basically exists to undermine the US and its
allies, the last thing on your mind should be whether you're
fingerprinted, or have DNA taken, or have regular polygraphs, etc...
Putting oneself in a compromising position, even if not immediately
compromising, but should situations change, is not something one
should do.  Again, I'm not judging anything prior, but the ending
here.

But it doesn't surprise me that most Americans don't care.  Most are
ignorant of many, strategic capabilities that only increase the chance
of war as well.  So I've totally given up on most of my fellow
Americans to understand the realities beyond the common, mainstream
media geo-politics they are fed.

E.g., "Oh no," we don't want to deploy ballistic sensor capability to
Europe and South Korea, we'll piss off the Russians, Chinese and North
Koreans.  But the Russians have no problem deploying superior,
land-based ballistic missile sensory capabilities, 10x ours, all over
the global, including to Iran and North Korea.  All while they, along
with the Chinese and Iranians, continue to develop newer ballistic
missile and nuclear capabilities, while we've deactivated all new
technologies, and rely on 50+ year old ones.

Interesting how we call this "deterrence."

We live in a world were we hurt our own allies, and they hate us,
because our popularist leaders are so focused on public opinion based
on foreign grandstanding.  No wonder the Clinton administration was
frustrated by 1999!  Sigh ... and people still hate Reagan for
Pershing II.  Yep, no wonder our allies no longer believe in us.

--
Bryan J Smith - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith