[Novalug] Free SSLcert from startssl.com and check at ssllabs.com.

Miles D. Oliver miles.d.oliver@gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:29:12 EDT 2015

 I'm sure many others already know about this but since I just went through
the exercise for my personal website i figured I'd share.

I hadn't really thought about adding an SSL cert to my personal webpage,
mainly because I didn't want to shell out the cash.

After some searching I was able to get free 1 year SSL cert from
startssl.com so I went ahead and got one. Took me all of about 30 minutes
to get the certificate.

I also found out about ssllabs.com  from a podcast where I could check the
cert and configuration.

In another 30 minutes I was able to check my site and change my 'rating'
from "C"to "A" by disabling a lot of the old ciphers and protocols.

         SSLProtocol All -SSLv2 -SSLv3
        SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:!RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:!SSLv2:!SSLv3:+EXP

Some older browsers won't be able to connect but its not like I have a big
following and I know its more secure.

I've not done much Apache virtualhost configs before It was a good learning
experience.

If you are thinking about a cert, free ones are available.