[Novalug] ls* style commands ?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Tue Jun 30 00:13:13 EDT 2015

Walt Smith via Novalug wrote:
> After reviewing the quick list ya'll made,
> the following are not on CentOS 6.5  ( by default, anyways..)

I wouldn't expect a distro from 5 years ago to ship many of the newer
ls* commands that weren't around or still in early adoption back then.

I only teach people the following when I'm covering RHEL6/7:
- lsblk (and blkid)
- lshw (and lshw-gui)
- lscpu (and lstopo[-no-graphics])
- lsinitrd (permissions to initrd file is required to list details)
- lslocks

Now if you have EPEL enabled, then you'll get more, depending on if a
dependency is available, or too old in RHEL6.

Jon LaBadie via Novalug wrote:
> MANY are not default Fedora either.

Depends on the version.

A couple more have been added to recent Fedora than were available in
earlier versions.  It's all about maintainers and their willingness to
"put up with" the requirements to get something in the official,
Fedora repos, beyond just won't ever be allowed (e.g., Pepperflash
Plugin, and other non-free dependencies).

With the newer COPR option [2], people are just skipping the
requirements of maintainership (see [2a] for all the details and
reasons).  At the same time, it's all tracked, and available for all.
Both YUM and DNF have plugins for COPR. [3]

-- bjs

[1] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/copr/
[2a] https://bkabrda.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/introducing-copr-build-system/