[Novalug] Broken fan control Compaq 6910p

Stuart Gathman stuart@gathman.org
Mon Jun 29 00:20:37 EDT 2015

On 06/28/2015 09:43 PM, Roger W. Broseus wrote:
> Stuart:
>
> Maybe create a bootable usb drive with DOS on it using Linux? I've done it
> and ran the dos executable from there.
>
> I can't recall the utility that I used but see some tips by googling
>
>      create bootable dos usb
>
> and find
>
>      http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
>
> Good ruck.
Created bootable Freedos disk.  Running the HP BIOS updater util
(Rompaq.exe) gets an illegal instruction error.  It is apparently not
compatible with regular Freedos.  I tried the flashrom linux utility -
but it detects a proprietary controller on this laptop that cannot be
used in a normal OS (can't even read the ROM).  Why they can't just
provide a bootable diskette or CD image is beyond me.