[Novalug] [novalug] linuxcounter

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Sat Jun 20 12:00:29 EDT 2015

FYI,
received this note from linuxcounter explaining the recent
several years of non-events and events of the site itself.

Walt......

--------------------

Hello Linux User!

Four years ago, I've sent one email to all Linux Counter users in order
to announce, that the Linux Counter Project is still there and still
alive. Since then many things has changed and I want to tell you all
some more things about the Linux Counter Project and what has changed.

In 2011 I, Alexander Löhner, have asked Harald Alvestrand if he would
give this whole project (http://counter.li.org) away. My intention was,
to revive and reanimate the project which was somehow nearly dead at that
time.

Harald agreed and gave me the whole source code and the database. So I
studied the code and then I've decided to create a completely new project
around the existing database.

I've registered the domain linuxcounter.net for this and then I began to
write a new application from scratch. Unfortunatly I've not used any
frameworks or other helpers for making the new page for example
responsive and useable on small devices. This was a great mistake and
disadvantage for making the project as popular as before.

Since somewhen in 2012 the old domain counter.li.org also redirects to
the new domain linuxcounter.net.

This mistake and disadvantage was one of the main reasons why I decided
in April 2015 to again completely develop a new web application. I took
this opportunity also for restructuring the whole database to make it
faster and more performant.

This time I've used Symfony2, Jquery, Bootstrap and many other helpers
and tools to develop the new webpage. The result can be seen here:
   https://www.linuxcounter.net

By the way, I've also decided to secure the whole project by SSL. So
when calling an URL like the old one: http://linuxcounter.net then you
automatically get redirected to https://www.linuxcounter.net. So your
data is encrypted and safe.

This is not the only change. I've developed a RESTful API for easier and
more flexible access to the statistics and your machines in your account.
The also newly developed lico-update.sh script which has replaced the
old machine-update script from counter.li.org, also uses this new API for
connecting with the database.

And this is still not all! I also have developed an Android App for your
mobile device to be able to become part of the database and the
statistics! You can find this Android App in the Google Play Store here:
   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linuxcounter.lico_update_003

Beside the good old statistics about linux users and linux machines per
city or country, I've also added some funny statistics about the Linux
Kernel itself. There is one statistics about the lines of code of each
offizial kernel version and there are also statistics about the good and
the bad words in the source code of the kernel versions.

Since some few weeks I also have added a new section called the "Toolbox".
This section is for everything that helps a Linux user or a Linux
administrator with his work with Linux. Actually it contains a very,
very huge commands reference for *nix like systems.

So... why am I writing this all to you? You may ask.

Well, since some few weeks I'm also doing SEO (search engine optimizing)
and until now with very great success: I've started with SEO about five
weeks ago with a Google Search Result position when searching for "Linux"
of somewhere behind 200, a Google Page Rank of 2 and an Alexa Global Rank
of somewhere around 1,900,000.

Until now these values has greatly changed:
The Google Search Position for the searchstring "Linux" now is somewhere
around place 20, the Google Page Rank is at 5 and the Alexa Global Rank
is at 469,494. The traffic greatly increases every day and the whole
project becomes more and more popular again.

And this is why I'm writing this to all of you, all the great peoples
that are part of the database since nearly the beginning of the project
in 1993. Most of you haven't visited the Counter since many, many years.
Many of you haven't visited the project since DECADES!

I want you all to come back! Visit this great project that has revived
and is still alive! Visit the project, get your old account back, get
your old and low counter number back and update your machines in your
account!

Help us to generate better and accurate statistics by updating your
profile and your machines! Get your signature image from your profile
page and add it to your forum signatures and facebook accounts, your
blog page or whatever.

Help us to become as popular as in the time from 1993 until 2000!  :-)

If this email reaches you, your email address is still working which is
assigned to your Counter account. So you may use the password reset form
to get a new password. You can find this form here:
   https://www.linuxcounter.net/resetting/request

Thanks for reading! And many, many thanks for helping us!

Best regards
Alexander Löhner

--
Founder and maintainer of
The Linux Counter Project

https://www.linuxcounter.net
http://blog.linuxcounter.net

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1MHI1ol
Google+ : http://bit.ly/1MZ2wxK
Twitter : http://bit.ly/1FZtFM6

Please consider donating to the project:
https://www.linuxcounter.net/donations

----
The government is lawless, not the press (people).
( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )