[Novalug] use of "make" in "industry"

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 05:56:43 EDT 2015

Recently, the "make" software was briefly mentioned as a standard way of
doing compiles (etc), but somebody else indicated that it may not be the
best/popular/commonest/wotever method in what I'll call "The Industry".

So, question - I've been doing "fun stuff" on my own (desktop-related
software).  I prefer just writing a shell script to do the "full compiles",
installs, etc.  However, I also force myself to use make files to "stay
current" in case I ever do the job interview thing again.

So, my question is, is there a particular "thing" that I can use for
home-use (few dozen programs, all fairly small size which, among other
things, form a library or toolkit) that is also used in large-scale,
professional settings?

Ed James