[Novalug] system shutdown (was:Re: Motherboard recommendations)

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Sun Jul 26 22:53:51 EDT 2015

On Jul 26, 2015, at 10:36 PM, pereira via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:

> How to you tell why a system shut down?
>
> I suspect it's temperature. In the background I ran 4 cores 100 %,
> each an  AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor at 3GHz, then
> I listened to a Jon Steward on youtube blasting Fox News.
> Then, the system flickered, and went down.
>
> After probing the web and remembering an earlier discussion,
> on acpi and  lm-sensors and 'sensors', I could look at the
> temperature of the cores. It says
>
> CPU Temperature:    +66.0°C  (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
> MB Temperature:     +38.0°C  (high = +45.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)
>
> PCI adapter
> temp1:        +70.8°C  (high = +70.0°C)
>                       (crit = +99.5°C, hyst = +97.5°C)
>
> So, the CPU is higher than high but not critical, the PCI adapter OK.
>
> Should I improve cooling?
>
> Any comments are most welcome.

I had the alarms enabled on the BIOS and was watching lm_sensors   (watch -n 1 sensors).  When I was streaming video or playing some video games (Steam or Flash), I saw the temperatures spike and the system beeped (BIOS alarm).  When I turned it off they came down quickly.  if I left it beeping too long, it would shutdown.

Over 60ºC is pretty warm for that CPU.  You might simply need to pull off the cooler you have, clean everything, and reapply the paste, but upgrading the cooler would work, too.  If you do get a new cooler, make sure it fits your socket.

jf
[1] http://www.microcenter.com/product/337464/Vortex_Plus_Universal_CPU_Cooler
--
John Franklin