[Novalug] Motherboard recommendations

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Jul 26 19:21:55 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 05:48:52PM -0400, Peter Larsen via Novalug wrote:
> So I've had it with my ASUS Sabertooth motherboard. Ever since I got it
> a few years back it's been nothing but problems, RMAs and just random
> crashes, general weird behavior etc.  ASUS was workable and sent me new
> ones for free over time, but since the symptoms/issues seems to repeat
> themselves, that's about it. I got a high-end board to avoid these issue
> and to be able to grow over time.
>
> SO - I'm looking to replace it with a board that works. I7/DDR3 (64GB
> capacity minimum), USB3 and external SATA plugs (optional, but really
> would like it). At least 6 internal SATA3 connectors, and SSD specific
> connectors would be preferred (that's really what sold me on the X79
> when I purchased it). Any brand EXCEPT ASUS :)
>
> Looking for recommendations. If you're still building your home systems,
> what brands do you recommend and why?

Peter, I've got very little experience with different boards.  I have
had 3 systems custom built and will share a bit.

Long ago I had two systems built with SuperMicro boards.  This was
in the Pentium III days.  Both were unusual in having dual cpu sockets.
One also had 2 on-board SCSI controllers.  I ran these until 18 months
ago.  Never a MB problem.  SM boards are good quality but expensive.

The third custom built was basically to retire the last Pentium III.
It may be the last big desktop I buy.  The MB I chose is basically
what you describe and in the 18-24 months I've had it, no problems
what-so-ever.

The MB is a Gigabyte X-79 UP-4.  I'm sure there are newer versions
since I bought mine.  Some of the relevant specs:

12 total SATA, but 4 are SATA II.  Two of the SATA III go to eSATA
connectors.  No special SSD connectors.

8 DDR-3 memory sockets, 64GB max, up to 2133MHz.
(I'm populated to 32GB @ 1600MHz).

i7 processor socket.  I've got a 3630 IIRC.  6 cores overclocked
20% to 4.0GHz.  I opted for liquid cooling, boy has that been good.
Each core has its own temp sensor, currently they are between
26 and 32 degrees C.  It is hard to get them up to 50 degrees
and when activity stops, temps plummet.  Fans are loafing at
750 - 1040 rpm.

4 USB 3 ports.  ?? USB 2 (?? = lots)

No on-board graphics.  Six PCI express slots, 2 each 16x, 8x, 1x,
and a single PCI slot.

HTH,
Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)