[Novalug] Development Tools in RHEL & friends

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Fri Jul 17 14:46:39 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Nick Danger <nick@hackermonkey.com> wrote:
> I ended up using cmd.run and making it work.  Im using the one from EPEL
> right now.

Then it should bring in all dependencies required.  Of course, if
you're using other programs than are required by Salt itself, that has
nothing to do with the packaging.  That has to do with you identifying
your own program's needs.

> Its working pretty well for me.

Fedora's EPEL usually is, because of the Fedora packaging
requirements.  Unfortunately as RHEL ages, traditionally the EPEL
builds for older RHEL releases tend to get dropped, as the maintainers
write for newer libraries and languages, and they no longer build on
older RHEL.

Although with the newer [Red Hat Software Collections ([RH]SCL)
bringing newer Python and other languages to older RHEL, that's less
of an issue with EPEL packages -- assuming, of course, they leverage
[RH]SCL.

> I just need to solve a few "order of events" issues right now one some
> user creation and then I'll be good to go.
> Nick
>
> dos2unix:
>  pkg:
>    - installed
>    - pkgs:
>      - dos2unix
>
> yum groupinstall "Development Tools":
>   cmd.run

All the more reason to ...

A)  Put everything your systems should have "standard" in your
Kickstart profiles (for all new builds), and ...
B)  Reference/pull, in your scripts/configuration management, from the
Kickstart profiles the list of packages to identify and add when
missing (for all existing systems)

I use this strategy heavily.  That way you _always_ get a standard set
of packages on _all_ systems -- both new _and_, via the CM system,
existing systems (that look at the Kickstart profile(s)).

-- bjs