[Novalug] benefit of containers in SOHO LAN services

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Jul 12 03:06:58 EDT 2015

Way back when I has as many as 2 dozen hosts on my
home office LAN I settled on using static IP addresses
and running a small local nameserver, "dnsmasq".  On
the host running dnsmasq I create a alternative ethernet
interface for one of its primary interfaces (eg. eth0:1),
assign it a second IP address and use that address
exclusively for the name service.

To the DNS clients, the service could be running on a
separate host, a full VM, or a lighter weight VM-like
container (eg. docker).  In reality it is just another
service running on my mail and back-up server.

If I wanted to play with containers I suspect that DNS
would be a good vehicle to practice with.  Aside from
the learning experience would there be any tangible
benefits from containerizing my nameserver?

Thanks, Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)