[Novalug] Mint Debian adventure

Charles Richard Head CharlesRHead@Netscape.Net
Mon Jan 26 12:48:49 EST 2015

*Bonnie,*

I hope the info inserted below helps.

*Charlie Head*

On 01/25/2015 11:51 PM, Bonnie Dalzell via Novalug wrote:

> Decided to try Mint Debian (termed LMDE).
>
> I have a couple of harddrives in my computer and I have set aside
> paritions for root, home, tmp and var so i can do several different
> installs. the hoem partitions are not very large
>
> i have a big partition i call common which is mounted afterwards by
> each distro so that certain files and folders that can be on home on
> all the installations have a common source. then I do a link from the
> files and folders in common to home on the new install (if that makes
> sense).
>
> Mint debian with the Mate desktop looks a good deal like ubuntu 14.04
> xfce. the mint menu ap is a lot like the whisker ap.
>
> I am having problems figuring out how to configure the icon size on
> the desktop and how to show running programs in the panel without
> having a bunch of text along side each running program's representative.
I Googled "LMDE desktop icon size".  This gave me a link into the LMDE
forum which explained how to change the desktop icon size as follows:

 1. Open Caja (the file manager).
 2. Edit>Preferences>Views>Icon View>Icon View.  Select a % size for the
    icons.  However, this method seems broken since 100% is larger than
    150%.  Play with it until you find a size that suits you.  Do a
    "Right click on desktop">Organize desktop by name after each size
    change to reposition the icons.

As for the open window list in the panel, I don't mknow how to turn off
the text beside the icon.  On my systems, as I open more windows, the
space available for each window shrinks until only the icon is visible,
so the amount of text is moot.  Alternatively, sometimes I set up a
second panel above the default panel and put just the open window list
in it, so there is more room for the list.

> at the moment I seem to have turned labels off for desktop icons and
> no running programs showing in the panel. despite what websearches
> yield there seem to be choices missing in some of the configuration
> aps for desk top items.
It sounds like you've been doing some heavy duty configuring (much more
than I do) and I don't know what you may have changed in the process.  I
couldn't find an easy way to turn on/off the text for desktop icons.  As
for displaying the list of running applications/programs, I just right
click in the Panel, select "Add to Panel", and then select "Window List"
or "Window Selector" from the list of items you can put on the panel.

> the most noticable thing I have noticed is the enormous number of
> applications available through synaptic. it seems to me to be a lot
> more than in the ubuntu repository.
I could be wrong, but I believe you will have available any application
that is available to Debian.