[Novalug] Mint Debian adventure

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sun Jan 25 23:51:42 EST 2015

Decided to try Mint Debian (termed LMDE).

I have a couple of harddrives in my computer and I have set aside
paritions for root, home, tmp and var so i can do several different
installs. the hoem partitions are not very large

i have a big partition i call common which is mounted afterwards by each
distro so that certain files and folders that can be on home on all the
installations have a common source. then I do a link from the files and
folders in common to home on the new install (if that makes sense).

Mint debian with the Mate desktop looks a good deal like ubuntu 14.04
xfce. the mint menu ap is a lot like the whisker ap.

I am having problems figuring out how to configure the icon size on the
desktop and how to show running programs in the panel without having a
bunch of text along side each running program's representative.

at the moment I seem to have turned labels off for desktop icons and no
running programs showing in the panel. despite what websearches yield
there seem to be choices missing in some of the configuration aps for
desk top items.

the most noticable thing I have noticed is the enormous number of
applications available through synaptic. it seems to me to be a lot more
than in the ubuntu repository.

additional things installed easily

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com