[Novalug] Computer Truths

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Tue Jan 20 18:39:07 EST 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:10:26AM -0600, Beartooth wrote:

> 	OT: has anybody found a good use for the extra buttons on a five-button
> mouse?? Or, for that matter, how about the M$ keys on a keyboard?

Typically the X window system considers the scroll wheel
to be button 2 when pressed and buttons 4&5 when rolled
forward and back.

Some mice also send a button click when the scroll wheel
is tilted left and right.  On my system these are considered
buttons 6&7.  I make heavy use of these, having configured
my window compositor (Compiz) to switch workspaces left
and right on button press 6&7.

My mouse also has two buttons under the thumb, considered
buttons 8&9.  At one time I had configured Compiz to do
something with them, but it wasn't useful enough to
remember what.

I think Compiz is near EOL.  If so I'm going to have trouble.
Switching workspaces with the scroll wheel tilt is so ingrained
now!  I've not been able to find another window manager that
will give me the same functionality.  If anyone knows a combination
of window and desktop managers that can do that switch, do tell.

Jon

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)