[Novalug] Hot Spots

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Jan 11 03:02:49 EST 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 04:50:23PM -0500, Dan Arico via Novalug wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 16:37:47 -0500
> "Roger W. Broseus" <RogerB@bronord.com> wrote:
>
> > Dan,
> >
> > On an Android I used EasyTether Lite, from the PlayStore. I connected
> > my PC to the droid phone with via USB so this did not serve as a "hot
> > spot" but enabled communications via cellular without an additional
> > line.
> >
> > To connect a laptop running Linux, one needs to download a program
> > from EasyTether's web site.
> >
> > This seupt worked fine even in weak reception areas where I could not
> > get a voice connection - maybe more a function of the quality of the
> > phone than the app. Importantly, it did not require rooting the
> > phone. As with you, I dumped my MiFi and saved a good bit of money.
>
> I've also been looking at using a wireless enabled tablet instead. My
> current tablet is on death's door so I'll need to replace it soon
> anyway. I could keep my current dumb phone. add the tablet to our
> phone plan and drop the mifi.

I finally replaced my flip-phone with a smart phone late last year.
At the time, Verizon included a free LG 8" tablet with the smart phone.
It has wifi and LTE data capability.  I find I use the tablet more
than the phone.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)