[Novalug] Picking next laptop

Dave K novalug@soupy.org
Wed Feb 18 15:52:45 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 03:37:02PM -0500, John Holland via Novalug wrote:
> I have debian working pretty well on my MacBook pro, but it took a long time to get it there.if you want the laptop to run linux I would stay away from apple. Although some others have also made it work....

Agreed. While you can often run Linux on Apple hardware, it's an
uphill battle, and you have to be willing to futz with things
constantly and make due with unsupported hardware.

Dell has Linux-oriented laptops that are worth looking at. XPS 13 and a
bigger, more recent announcement. Lenovos generally work well, however
the "adaptive" keys on Carbons are loathed, as are the touchpads. I
believe both are fixed on the new Carbons.

Sadly due to build quality, I will not suggest System76.

Cheers,
-A. Dave