[Novalug] Root access? (was terminal mystery)

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Mon Feb 9 12:28:32 EST 2015

On Mon, 9 Feb 2015, Rich Kulawiec via Novalug wrote:
 	[.... 	stuff I don't understand]

> (One could make the argument that installing things in /usr/local/bin --
> as root -- insulates them from attacks from an adversary who has compromised
> the user account, but not the root account.  Of course any worthy adversary
> who has managed that, in the case of a user with root access, *will*
> compromise the root account soon enough.  And if the user doesn't have
> root access?  They're no more screwed than they already were.)

 	This sounds like "has root access" must mean something
other than just "knows root password." Does it mean "is a
sudoer"?? Something else?

(I don't do sudo, ever at all at all; nobody else ever touches my
machines.)

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeon On Line
They say it's a great life, if you don't weaken.