[Novalug] mint debian adventures

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Tue Feb 3 16:40:00 EST 2015

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Roger W. Broseus wrote:

> Bonnie,
>
> Might "pinning" help you? Ref: https://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences

Thanks so much for the reference. I have learned so much from your help.

Read the page. For someone like me who knows just enough to get themselves
in trouble pinning is scary. The caution spooks me:

"When using apt-pinning, you must ensure compatibility of packages by
yourself since Debian does not guarantee it. Note that apt-pinning is
completely optional, and Debian does not encourage its use without
thorough consideration. "

With LMDE the problem seems to be that the release I installed may have
moved beyond the 32 bit libraries as they are deprecated and pinning
seems to be used for back-porting from a more advanced release.

However one of the things I have not done, which is pretty simple since I
have lots of space on my system is to just install a 32 bit version of
mint or xubuntu and test the program with it also.

I am going to suggest to the program author that he consider mentioning
this to his possible linux clients. Most people running linux (other
than our Charlie) are probably in a situation where a second version
of linux can be installed if needed to run some specialized program
that is really needed. At least it is a lot easier to get documents,
pictures etc between the two versions than by having different computers
talk to each other.
                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com