[Novalug] where did desktops come from?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Thu Dec 31 14:51:22 EST 2015

I do try to provide links to Wikipedia articles, which then has yet more
links to other, research level references.

I also try to define most acronyms.

But on the flip side, I often get labeled as "talking down" to "the
experienced" when I post even more, longer detail.

In other words, there is no such thing as an "universal" response.

I was reminded of this many years ago when a critic of mine had a Samba
issue.  I posted a detailed response, assuming he knew nothing, and not
only solved his immediate problem, but 3 follow-up issues he ran into.

>From that point on, when ever someone complained about my detail, or how I
treated them as "knowing nothing," he defended me.  Because he had been
there, a very experienced guy, but literally over his head in Samba, and
appreciated me assuming nothing.

It's a difficult balance. It clearly takes me time to respond, so I try to
be brief. At the same time, when I'm not, it pisses a number of people off
who go, "I already know this, get to the meat!"

Summaries and references only go so far.

-- bjs

DISCLAIMER: Sent from phone, please excuse any typos
--
Bryan J Smith - Technology Mercenary
b.j.smith@ieee.org - http://linkedin.com/in/bjsmith