[Novalug] where did desktops come from?

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 14:38:11 EST 2015

Actually, I agree with Gary knots question.
I remember when desktops magincally appeared in
news summaries and distros.    Like X, you had to follow details
from the beginning.

Now, to be honest, I havent' tried digging in with literature,
for myself, for this particular topic, and I'm also interested to
some small degree.  But not enough to ask for others
tiem and labor at this time.  I think finding the right concise info may not be
straight forward unless one purchases "just the right"
reference.

For example, many of the attempts on this list by extremely
well versed people are often self referencing, or assume meaning
to some buzzwords.  For example, an assumption might be made when
XFree86 is mentioned, that someone would auotmatically know
it is an X-server ( or rather, client - since in X, some people see the server/client
relationship as reversed... while technically not, it's very difficult for a novice
to understand !! )).  i.e. Names like APT, yum, rpm are certainly not self-descriptive.
( and not identical in function ).  And really, I got tired of keeping up with buzznames
that magically appear in, say, slashdot, without so much as a quick turn of
a phrase.

The intentions are certainly here on novalug, and energy fed, but sometimes perspective
is a daunting challenge.

Walt..

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )