[Novalug] Firefox and pdf files

Peter Larsen peter@peterlarsen.org
Sun Dec 27 22:39:40 EST 2015

On 12/27/2015 08:16 PM, Jay Hart via Novalug wrote:
> I can't view pdf files in Firefox under Linux.  What is the secret handshake to get this to work?

Since "cannot" doesn't really describe your symptom, it's really like
asking the the mechanic "My car won't turn on, what could be wrong?".
Any browser treats resource types according to it's setup. You can list
each resource type under content and see how the browser will deal with
the type - like images, videos and pdf. It can block, embed or open
outside of the browser. Of course it requires at times 3rd party
software (not provided by the browser) to process/read certain types of
files - and PDF is one of them.  Plugins allows the browser to embed PDF
content into the browser app, but it's not really needed if you view all
your PDF files outside the browser anyway - the browser just needs to
know where the executable for that resource type is located. Again,
that's in the content settings.

Now, what's wrong and what's going on - your guess is as good as anyone
else. We'll need a thorough description to really be able to tell what
is going on.

--
Regards
  Peter Larsen