[Novalug] emacs trouble

John Holland jholland@vin-dit.org
Sat Aug 15 18:28:51 EDT 2015

Gary,

> On Aug 15, 2015, at 5:58 PM, Gary Knott <garyknott@gmail.com> wrote:]

> when a GNU program (Gnome) breaks another GNU program, emacs,)
> that others have suffered from

Are you running under gnome? I thought “Lubuntu”  used LXDE.
I sent you suggestions based on LXDE.

> (global-set-key [(control ?x) (control ?\\)] 'set-mark-command)
>
> executing the above in the
> scratch buffer with Ctrl-X-E will set Ctrl-X-\  to the set-mark-command.

> So I suppose you mean type esc-:  and then
> execute the elisp command

> (global-set-key [(control ?x) (control ?\\)] 'set-mark-command)

No Esc-: here, this is emacs! You can’t run lisp from Esc-X I don’t think.

You need to switch buffers to the buffer called “scratch”, paste

(global-set-key [(control ?x) (control ?\\)] 'set-mark-command)

into that buffer, position the cursor at the end of the string and type Ctrl-X E

This temporarily sets the key mapping for Ctrl-X Ctrl-\   to the command “set-mark-command”,
 This does not remove any other key mapping that might also apply that command.
It will be lost when you quit emacs.

The link below tells how to remove that key mapping when running LXDE which I think you are. You should try following those steps.

The method above will map some other key combination but I’m sure your fingers are very used to Ctrl-Space doing what it should and that would be preferable.

> http://askubuntu.com/questions/243639/ctrlspace-has-been-bound-to-invoke-some-input-method-and-does-not-work-in-ema <http://askubuntu.com/questions/243639/ctrlspace-has-been-bound-to-invoke-some-input-method-and-does-not-work-in-ema>

You might also try a different desktop environment (gnome,KDE,fvwm etc) and see if that removes the problem -even if its just as a test.

--John