[Novalug] emacs 24

Gary Knott garyknott@gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 18:07:31 EDT 2015

Dear Group,   I have a  (for me) very debilitating
problem with emacs as it comes with Lubuntu 14.04

Whe I am editing a file, and "set the mark"  (by typing ctrl-space)
to define
the beginning (or end) of a region of text,  as I subsequently
arrow up or down, or page-up/page-down, the
text thus passed over is supposed to be given a colored (non-white)
back-ground color so I can see what the region is.

But it is not!

googling suggests putting (setq-default transient-mark-mode t)
in my .emacs file.   Alas, no joy.

My keyboard space-key - and ctrl keys work, and ctrl-k works,
but when I initially begin running emacs ctrl-space does
not seem to be  read.  Sometimes the message
"no mark set" appears when I type ctrl-w.  But sometimes it
does work!  I have successfully "marked and defined a region and then
extracted it with ctrl-w and placed it back with ctrl-y. (But
without a colored region showing.)

Any ideas?  All the rest of emacs seems to work fine.
Is there any emacs trace I can turn on?   Any place else where i
should ask  for help?

Thanks gary knott,   garyknott@gmail.com