[Novalug] guilt-by-knowledge ( ip and ifconfig )

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 00:07:23 EDT 2015

bottom post:

> Example 1: Losing ifconfig is a big deal.  This is a command we have in our muscle memory.  Changing to use ip requires significant retraining, which I'm sure is why ifconfig and ip have co-existed in systems for years now.

Yup - but yet ignored by many. And when finally the deprecation notice
is executed (which is hasn't been) we get people streaming and
complaining because they want to be able to ignore deprecation notices/

----------------------------

GUILTY.
First time I saw IP (from reading this maillist maybe a  year or
2 ago ), I looked at the man page, and geeeze was it "saturated".
with too many options and also words I didn't know.

So I still use ifconfig.

good or bad ?   Since I'm not very active with it,
I can't say... It's muscle memory though.

----
The government is lawless, not the press (people).
( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )