[Novalug] [Opinion] The age of "Guilt-By-Knowledge" and how the anti-system crowd has "won"

Don E. Groves, Jr. dgrovesjr@gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 18:16:00 EDT 2015

First:
    Does the commands
          udevadm trigger
    or
         udevadm control --reload
   really cause a "scan" for all hardware on the system?   Or just reload
udev's internal database?
      { I don't currently have any "hardware" that I can install/remove
while this system is running to test this out.  }
     (-: USB and/or scsi devices don't count as that's part of the specs
for that type of devices. :-)
   Is this the same "underling" mechanism that  gparted or disutility use
to cause a rescan of the partition tables?

Second:
   Anyone know/remember how to do such a thing with a PRE udev type kernel?
Was it even possible?
      ( I can remember rebooting systems just to update the partition
tables in the past. :-)

This sure sounds like the Vulcan-nerve-pinch we use to have to use in order
to reconnect a ps/2 port mouse to the system without rebooting the system.

--
  Don Jr

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Peter Larsen via Novalug <
novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:

> On 04/29/2015 05:39 PM, Don E. Groves, Jr. via Novalug wrote:
> > Opps it's:
> >    udevadm trigger
> >
> > (from the same page)
>
> Actually, it's udevadm control -R (or reload).
>
> Depending on what you changed, you may need to trigger events to be sure
> the new rules are effected - but that's more advanced stuff. If you're
> just changing how a device is named, --reload is pretty much all you need.
>
> --
> Regards
>   Peter Larsen

Don E. Groves, Jr.