[Novalug] dynamic symbolic links

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Wed Apr 29 16:11:11 EDT 2015

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, Peter Larsen via Novalug wrote:

> So if we cannot debate without making it personal and calling
> each other names, the debate stops on my behalf. This is a
> discussion among what I believe is like minded people who share
> a common passion for technology around Linux. And it's in that
> spirit we're having a debate.

 	And I for one am following it avidly, despite the fact
I'm nowhere near understanding most of it. Rich may have a better
guess than mine as to how many apprentices we include, as
contrasted with real sorcerers; fwiw, my guess is that there are
lots of us.

>> You act like Everyone is Responsible for Learning Everything
>> that Comes Down The Pike.
>
> Pretty much, yes. You are - you should be informed in
> particular if you make it your job (see the thread about being
> a competent admin). [....]

 	How about a little discrimination between the pro's and
the peanut gallery here? It is *very* helpful to find that
certain pitfalls, for instance, endanger only sysadmins, and not
those of us whose machines no one else ever touches.

 	[....]
> EVERYONE benefits from SELinux - hobby to professional. Just
> like you benefit from file security on a system where you are
> the ONLY user, process and memory isolation when everything
> running on your home system only serves YOU. If none of this
> mattered, why not use DOS?

 	Many things become more private-user-friendly over time,
even if only by somebody setting a lot of good defaults. Recorded
sound is a prize example, and SELinux seems to be (or be
becoming) another. Along about RH7 or so I'd've needed a whole
nuther advanced degree to set all the parameters; I still would,
but I no longer have to.

> Since you haven't even tried - you have no clue to whether it enriches
> you or not - right? And that's the whole crocks of this 'debate'.

 	Please. English 'crux', from the Latin for a cross, has
come to mean something like "decisive point'; 'crocks' (plural of
'crock') points to vessels of kiln-fired clay; and just for
lagniappe, crocs are reptiles in the vernacular.

> Now that you have come clean on where you are when you express
> your dissatisfaction, I think we can end this thread. [....]

 	Please don't. There are likely several more of us who may
be far short of following it all, but will keep it where we can
re-read at long intervals, and comprehend a little more each
time.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeon On Line
They say it's a great life, if you don't weaken.