[Novalug] benefits to having newer kernel ?

jerry w jerrywone@gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:37:53 EDT 2015

For RPi

One of the more miscellaneous features merged into Linux 3.19 is that of
DeviceTree Overlays. These are relevant to embedded devices, such as the
RaspberryPi, which uses a DeviceTree to describe the many assorted platform
(non-discoverable) devices that form the System-on-Chip (SoC) upon which it
is built. Modern SoCs have dozens or even hundreds of devices, including a
plethora of IO interfaces (such as USB and networking). In most cases,
these are directly attached to the CPU cores on the same chip with no
intervening PCI-like enumerable buses in between. This means that
determining the physical topology and structure of the system at boot time
necessitates the provision of a DeviceTree data structure. Overlays extend
DeviceTrees by allowing for the provision of run-time extensions that
describe the devices contained within Ras Pi add-ons or BeagleBone capes
(for example). Thus, Linux 3.19 will make life much easier for those using
custom Ras Pi boards.

/endquote

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/features/linux-and-linux-4-0-the-kernel-column

~~~~~~
Techies Unite:
Open Source and Hardware
Typos likely with canned devices and vocab lists, not to mention me
bastardized use o' language