[Novalug] tidal.com

Maxwell Spangler maxlists@maxwellspangler.com
Thu Apr 2 01:02:53 EDT 2015

I'm really optimistic about streaming services and podcasting.

In the 2000s I spent a lot of time and money organizing an mp3
collection that was supposed provide me with whatever music I wanted,
whenever I want it for the rest of my life.

It took so much time and money and was never done.  And I kept having to
buy more hard drives.  4x 3TB at last count.

I gave up.

Now, $20 seems like a reasonable cost if it can give me whatever I want
whenever I want it.  But I'm interested in more than just music.

Right now I do the following:

- $5 a month to KCRW for Eclectic 24, a public radio based commercial
free music station that plays music I really like.  Mostly new stuff and
they are way better DJs than me.  For those of us that grew up in the DC
area of the 80s and 90s with WHFS, this is like that.  You put it on,
and trust the DJs.

-$5 a month to Radiotopia, makers of 99% Invisible and a bunch of other
really good Podcasts.

-$5 a month to Maximum Fun, makers of Bullseye with Jesse Thorn and a
bunch other podcasts.

-$5 a month to Radiolab

-$5 a month to This American Life

The thing that the music industry should have noticed in the 2000s when
they were fighting piracy is that people really wanted more than just
what they were getting.  Streaming and podcasting can give you exactly
what you want, when you want it.  And for that, a lot of people like me
are *happy* to pay for it.  Especially when it's direct to the source.

On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 06:38 -0400, John Holland via Novalug wrote:

> The way I remember Pandora is that it picks out songs for you that are supposed to be similar to ones you pick. This is more like picking exactly what songs or albums you want, making playlists from them etc. But 20$/month is a high price tag.
> On Apr 1, 2015, at 1:53 AM, John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org> wrote:
>
> > Hmm.. $10/month for standard, $20/month for lossless.  I think I'm still paying $4/month for Pandora.  Hard to pay 5x as much without a sound system that will make it worth while.  The speakers in the iMac just aren't that good, and I try to keep the volume low so I don't bother others.
> >
> > But maybe I'm just not the target demographic.
> >
> > jf
> >
> > On Mar 31, 2015, at 9:03 PM, John Holland via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
> >
> >> This is the new music service announced today, actually acquired by a consortium led by Jay-Z as it has been around. But it seems really good. The streaming is supposed to be up to CD quality. And they say on their web site they support linux (via google chrome)*. I’m really impressed with the selection and the app seems nice for finding stuff by artist or song or album etc. REALLY impressed by the selection.  10$ a month for ordinary fidelity, 20$ a month for the hi-fi. But you can do a free trial (if you give them a credit card or paypal account). They claim to compensate musicians better…….
> >>

> >> They support android, os x, windows, linux and iOS.
> >>
> >> *I’m using Freebsd right now for my FOSS needs and I don’t think they support that - but I’m also using my macbook running OS X. So I haven’t tried it on linux myself.
> >
> > --
> > John Franklin
> > franklin@elfie.org

Maxwell Spangler