[Novalug] cloning a partition

Don E. Groves, Jr. dgrovesjr@gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 23:30:33 EDT 2014

I highly recommend that instead you:
   1 -  Partition the new drive.
   2 -  Format the new partition(s) on the new drive, using whatever FS
(ext4 or better recommended)
   3 - mount the partition at a temporary location say:
           /tmp/newdir
   4 -  using 'tar' transfer the data to the new partition using:

cd /old/mount && tar cf - * | ( cd /tmp/newdir && tar xfp -)

      Adjusting /old/mount to where the old drive is currently mounted.

  5 -  unmount both drives
  6 -  mount the New Drive at the /old/mount point.

 Job is done and partition(s) resized to fit the new capacity.

--
  DonJr

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Bonnie Dalzell via Novalug <
novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:

> got a new drive since one of my old drives is getting a little noisy. (it
> is an old PATA drive, new drive is a SATA.  System has some other drives in
> it already.
>
> if you want to exactly copy from a partition on an existing drive to a
> partition on a new - not yet partitioned drive using dd, do you need to
> create the partitions on the new drive before using dd? Can the partitions
> be larger than the ones on the old drive so that you clone from a smaller
> partition into a larger into a larger partition?

>                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
> mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
> shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
> Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
> breeder, computer nerd & iconoclast... Borzoi info at www.borzois.com.
> HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS
> www.boardingatwedge.com

Don E. Groves, Jr.