[Novalug] partition assignment strategies

Xavier Belanger firemountain@belanger.fr
Wed Nov 12 13:32:29 EST 2014

Hi,

> i like to keep a separate /var and a separate /temp
>
> right now each one has its own /var and /temp. Is that necessary?

 * /var: they must remain separate, since all the logs (in /var/log)
will differ from one system to another, and some other files may
differ too. Some files in /var/run are specific to each system for
instance (a /var/run/*.pid file contains the PID for a service started
at boot).

 * /tmp: you should be able to use only one partition for that one,
since temporary files are by definition not important. Test, test
and test first to make sure that it works as expected.

> each has its own /home. Can I just use one /home the ununtus and one
> /home for the mints?

Probably not: /home contains individual data files and configuration
files as well. Since you probably don't have the same version number
for various software on each system, that may create problems (a newer
version of 'foo 0.42' may set a new option that will not be recognized
by 'foo 0.41' on the other older system).

Sincerely.
--
Xavier Belanger