[Novalug] partition assignment strategies

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Wed Nov 12 13:08:54 EST 2014

I may have asked a version of this before. I recently installed a couple
of TB harddrives.

I have gotten most things straightened out including how to get no longer
in existance partitions out of the fstab so the system stops looking for
them on boot.

I have xubuntu 12.04, Xubuntu 14.04 and two different mint installs on
this computer. (and also a rarely used windows xp).

each has its own root (/)

i like to keep a separate /var and a separate /temp

right now each one has its own /var and /temp. Is that necessary?

each has its own /home. Can I just use one /home the ununtus and one
/home for the mints?

in addition if you wanted to use LVM on one harddrive do you need to use
it on all the harddrives in the machine?

as always your help is greatly appreciated.

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com