[Novalug] NAS Questions

Charles R. Head CharlesRHead@Netscape.Net
Thu May 22 17:02:24 EDT 2014

*Guys,*

I'm thinking about adding an NAS to my home network.  I'm specifically
considering buying a four bay commercial NAS and running the HDDs as a
RAID 5.  I like the idea of having quick access to the HDDs for
installation & replacement through a door on the front of the NAS.  I'd
appreciate help with the following questions:

 1. If I use all four HDDs in a RAID array, where does the OS for the
    NAS reside?  I've seen discussions of building your own NAS and
    booting it from a thumb drive plugged into the NAS's USB port.  I
    don't much like that approach.
 2. Do any NASs come with the equivalent of an SSD (i.e., a 5th drive)
    on the NAS motherboard?
 3. Are there other options for location of the NAS OS, such as on a
    bootable optical disk?
 4. Where would the NAS configuration files be located if the NAS OS was
    on an optical disk (read only)?
 5. All the commercial NASs appear to come with their own NAS OS
    preinstalled.  Is there any reason to replace such a vendor supplied
    OS with FreeNAS?
 6. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thank you.  I'll appreciate any help/advice you can give me.

*Charlie Head*

---