[Novalug] Linux Mint Debian 201403 LMDE Mate

Don E. Groves, Jr. dgrovesjr@gmail.com
Sun May 18 04:44:14 EDT 2014

See inline comments:

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 12:18 AM, Walt Smith <waltechmail@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You never asked which LINUX system to use ...
> You asked a Q that gets flame retardant about
> once a year: it used to be a much bigger fire.
> except, granted, this IS a LINUX group...
> I assume you are talking WHICH LINUX DISTRO ?

I started of asking about "Linux Mint Debian"

but it's been awhile since we're had a decent kernel or
> consumer discussion... since Linux has taken over
> smartphones, many tablets, google and yahoo.
>
> so.......  I'll take the initial hits ...

The hardware I am planing to install the OS on use to be running MicroSoft
Windows XP.  XP is no longer supported, but the hardware is still useable
and not everyone can afford the latest hardware.

> I'd recommend for non-technical people that I
> know Windows 7 or 8.

Non-technical user maybe Windows 7.
Windows 8 and 8.1 is more suited for a Tablet, but not even that really.

> Why ? ( nothing new here that hasn't been said before )
>
> 1. They know how to let their system do auto updates
> whither they want to or not.... they're comfortable.

Updating a Linux based Distro is just as easy there is an "Update Manager"
apt that supplies the same feature.

> 2. They already know where their own menu' s are.

By default Windows 8 and 8.1 don't have the traditional menu system. It has
a "start screen" or you can install a program that supplies a "Menu system"
much like former Windows systems have.

> 3. They're not interested or motivated to learn anything
> new.  This last point is important.

I'm not going to be "giving" the systems I put together to someone like
this.

>  They are either older,

Older users just need a Web Surfer (ie Facebook, Google, Youtube and News
sites), Word Processor (Libre Office), Light Gaming (Solitaire) and a eMail
reader(which can be supplied by the WebBrowser).  Maybe an Accounting
program such as (MoneyDance)
  {note: the above would cover everything my Mom does with her computer}

> or if younger are ADD and learn from their friends who know nothing about
> linux.

Depends on what circle you live in.

> 4. I'd have to install it.  And it isn't simple.  I've installed
> CentoOS, Fedora, and Ubuntu  within the last 4 years
> or so.  Let me restate:  Installing Baseline with development
> software, or web server, or firewall and a few other server things...
> is easy.   Thats not the problem. The consumer part is the problem.

As far as the three(3) machines I'm looking to find Software for I'll do
the base install.

But after completing my first "Virtual Machine" install of Linux Mint  *LMDE
201403 MATE Edition (Live CD boot click on an "Install" icon and follow the
prompts.) an "update" and a few tweaks (non-PAE kernel to a PAE kernel)
there is an Item in the Control Panel that handles that and a reboot(part
of the kernel install).*

> The absolute biggest problem is installing enough
> packages for the simple media people know and love.

With 30,000+ packages to choose from I am pretty sure that most if not all
of the media types are handled.

> The second is the perception on almost all my own boxes that
> some driver isn't up to par for graphics, or GPU/media chip,
> or some PCI or bus chip, or USB, or ......
> or software modem or such...having used multiple motherboards and
> DVD drives, there's always something not quite  right...

Other then a few cutting edge pieces of hardware I've never had much
problem finding drivers (other then portables with undocumented parts) for
my systems.

> Specially since - and this is part of the responses -- linux for much older
> CPU motherboards hasn't been supported.   IT was intentionally
> sent away.   Now the Q is: at what point ( say, for the "new"
> ide interface system, in kernel 2.2 or 2.4 ? ) How far back does the "new"
> kernel support motherboard technologies ????

A ways back, as in 10 years or more.

Lets look at the time scale.  What year are 2.2 Ghz or faster are
> on desktops ?

2.2 Ghz is about 2008.
  The hardware I'm planning on using is older then that.

Lastly, relatedly, I'd like to ask the Question I've asked before.
> We generally know what distros are SOOO open sourced gpl
> properly ( not a bad thing, depending  )... the WHOLE THING
> is properly open.
>
> ???

> BUT, what distros supply all (most) of the proprietary drivers necessary
> to run almost anything?  ( and we know the nvidia and ati and a few
> other stories....)

I've found nvidia drivers for Debian base systems.
For other distros others will have to chime in.

> Some of the above should seem familiar to what a lot of normal users
> won't know to ask - until they've turned on the system for the 4th time.
>
> Walt.......

The "Live CD" booth can answer a lot of the questions.

--
Don E. Groves, Jr.

Tag it's your turn now... ... ....