[Novalug] question about new lubuntu install

Gary Knott garyknott@gmail.com
Wed May 14 14:00:37 EDT 2014

Dear group,

I burned a CD, used the "live" feature to
run gparted and repartitioned my disk, leaving a
set of 3 win7  partitions and setting up swap, /, home and boot
as 4 logical partitions.

Then I used the CD again, choosing the install
option.  The install program tried to find our wifi
with dhcp connection to the net, presumably
to fetch other files needed to complete the installation.
It annouced it had failed, which is correct, because
I have a wired local network with fixed ip numbers
manually assigned to each machine and to
our gateway router.

question 1: The install process did NOT drop into a
state where it would ask for my ip number, gateway ip-number, netmask, etc.
Why not?  This seems to be a terrible oversight.
And did I just not hit some magic key or something that
would have caused the install to behave properly?

After installing, I powered-off, restarted and selected
ubuntu from the grub menu.  The boot worked okay.
I did not set up our net connection (yet) but just shutdown.

Then I restarted and booted win7.  It worked okay.
Then I restarted and booted ubuntu.  The boot
started, the 5 dots appeared, and the screen then went full blue and
nothing happened.  I though maybe this hanging was due to looking for a
wifi connection, but remember I booted successfully before.

question 2: what is happening in this state?

Then I powered down, and rebooted and selected
the "advanced ubuntu" option from the grub menu.
This gives a menu from which I can select disk checking,
single-user mode (under another name), etc.
I just selected "resume normal boot".

Now the boot worked fine, (except screen resolution was
degraded to some lower resolution.)
I then immediately shutdown.

Then I restarted and selected the normal ubuntu
boot option from the grub menu.
Now the system booted fine and with the correct
resolution!  (and now I could configure my network
connection if I wished.)

question 3:  What happened here?  Why did this
"work", and what issue was overcome, and how?

question 4: Can you predict what will happen when I
boot win7 again?

question 5:  what should I do to finish my lubuntu
installation?  I need TeX, Gcc, emacs, etc, etc.
Is there a graphical update program in my CD install
that will get  me a full-fledged system without too much grief?

Thanks,  gary,  garyknott@gmail.com