[Novalug] SSDs - Informed Opinions

Dave Winn winndm@gmail.com
Thu May 8 23:59:01 EDT 2014

Timing worked out very lucky for me this month.  I'd ordered a Samsung 840
EVO-Series and two days later the drive it was slated to replace started
acting up.  7 years was a bit too long to wait on replacing!  Data was all
backed up thankfully.  Hoping I get as long of a life out of the SSD.

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Jon LaBadie <novalugml@jgcomp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 04:24:31PM -0400, Roger W. Broseus wrote:
> > I'm looking to install my OS, VMs, and related software on an SSD
> > when I do a re-install to upgrade Xubuntu to the next LTS release,
> > coming soon - mid-May.
> >
> > I've read many reviews on Newegg for Samsung, Kingston, and Intel.
> > Seems all of them have a significant number of problems - small,
> > percentage-wise, but, nevertheless, negatory. The Kingston SSDs seem
> > to take the biggest hit. Some of the drives don't even work with
> > certain motherboards! I don't anticipate this problem w/ my Intel
> > MB.
> >
> > Based on personal experience / professional knowledge of the
> > products, I'm looking for informed opinions on what's reliable. I'm
> > leaning towards a Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB.
>
> I've got an EVO 250 and an EVO Pro 250 in this system, no problems.
>
> Back when SSD's dropped to $100 for 60GB I got a Crucial ? for my
> AMD system.  It didn't work with my motherboard controller but did
> with a cheap, but slow, PCI controller.  I thought it was defective.
>
> Microcenter swapped for another, same results.  They swapped for a
> store brand, same results.  Finally I put it into my laptop and it
> really transformed the feel of the system.
>
> Jon
> --
> Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
>  11226 South Shore Rd           (703) 787-0688 (H)
>  Reston, VA  20190              (609) 477-8330 (C)

Dave Winn