[Novalug] "Downgrading" Ubuntu release?

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sun Mar 23 23:27:41 EDT 2014

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014, Ed James wrote:

> All,
>
>   I have Ubuntu 11.10 on DVD, which installs fine on several P4's.  On two
> of them, I've upgraded (over the net) to what was the latest - 12.04.  No
> problems.
>
>   However, a more recent install of 11.10 plus net upgrade brought me a
> final upgrade to 12.10 (on a third machine), which doesn't work well with
> my graphics hardware.  It boots into GUI mode, but nothing else
> shows/displays, such as the sidebar/launcher on the side of the screen, or
> anything at the top of the screen.

Have you thought of trying Xubuntu which (it is my understanding) uses a
different GUI - xfce which supposedly makes less demand on your graphics
card?

Xubuntu version numbers run parallel to standard Ubuntu except for some of
the more graphic demanding software.

You can download a live CD version of Xubuntu from the xubuntu.org web
site.

http://xubuntu.org/

12.04 is the LTS release

>   I can do some stuff, like <CTRL><ALT><T> to get a "terminal", but
while
> the terminal works, GUI stuff like changing the terminal size via mouse
> doesn't.
>
>   So, question is, is it possible to "downgrade" (via the net, of course)
> from the current version back down until I get to a version where the
> graphics is again supported?  I've never tried a downgrade, and I have a
> pile of files on this machine that I really don't want to wipe and have to
> re-install unless it's really necessary.
>
> Ed James

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com